Sunday 28 June 2009

Elderflower Cordial


Approx 40 Elderflower head (most recipies say 20 but I wanted a strong flavour!)
1 Sliced Lemon
2tsp Citric Acid (to ask the pharmacist for this - and they will ask you what you want it for)
1.5kg Sugar
2.5 Pints Boiling Water
I made this in a bucket as I didnt have a bowl or anything big enough and i doubled the recipie as i wanted more.
Boil the kettle for the water and pour it into the bucket, add the sugar and stir until dissolved. Add the citric acid, lemon and elderflowers and stir gently.
Cover the bucket with a tea towel and leave in a cool dry place for 5 days, stirring twice a day.
After 4 days you end up with a syrupy cordial. The cordial needs to be strained to remove the elderflowers and all the bits. I strained mine through muslin 3 times to make it as clear as possible. Pour into any bottles to hand and it should keep in the fridge for about a month. It can be frozen too but leave space in the top of the bottle.
My favourite way to drink it is in lemonade or champagne

1 comment:

  1. I'm salivating just looking at the photo! That is my absolute favorite!!! Looks so easy to make too. Will have to settle for the next best thing (aka, only option) and go to Ikea...

    ReplyDelete